Sunday, August 7, 2016

                                      The Promises in our Lives


I was told by my mother, when I was small, that anger was a bad thing and I needed to control it. I solemnly agreed and promptly lost it the very next day.

I had a hard time keeping the secret my friend had confided in me from the rest of our gang. It didn't take long for my sincerity to take a beating when the 'secret' was revealed to be well, not exactly one.

My neighbour and I vowed to go for a jog early in the morning every day. Two days later, my mother had to tell her that I was too lazy to wake up so early.

When we were best friends, inseparable and complete confidantes, we thought there would never be a time when we would lose touch. I have no idea where she is now.

In my journal, when I was a teenager, I described myself as an optimistic girl who would always look at the world with 'rose-tinted' glasses. By my twenties, I was a partial cynic who had learnt taking things with a grain of salt.

Sometimes, the promises we make to ourselves or others, or the ones we expect to be made, are the hardest to keep.

On my wedding day, the priest chanted the hymns that presumably delineate the vows that a husband and wife make to each other. I did not understand. I think I just heard and repeated. But it has been nine years now and we have never had to verbalize our commitment to each other.

After I left my home, I never told my mother not to worry and that I will be in touch with her. I simply have called her every single day since then.

When I looked at my two sons when they were born, I never took an oath that I will love, protect and take care of them my whole life. I just spend my days and nights with them,helping them to the best of my ability.

I do not maintain a journal now and I have stopped making promises. I allow myself to take each day as it comes, happy as I am, content with what I have and having the freedom to vent out my frustrations when things get too much to handle.

Sometimes, promises that are unsaid, unasked for and understood as the truth, are the easiest to keep.

This post has been written for the last day of #BarAThon. Prompt - Promise (to yourself/someone else)

(A sincere thanks to my friend for introducing me to this blogathon; and to the wonderful team of Blogarhythm for giving me an opportunity to awaken my stagnant creative thinking and writing skills with their unique prompts.)


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, some things you don't have to promise. You just do them!!

    ReplyDelete