Saturday, August 6, 2016

                                     Wishful Thinking


The laughter could be heard breaking the serene silence of the park. The younger ones were being regaled with tales of funny adventures and epiphanic moments by the older generation. 
A ten-year-old boy tugged the kurta tails of his grandfather. He whispered,  "Grandpa, give me a coin." "What?" "Give me a coin," he said, a little louder but not loud enough for his parents to hear. "But why?" "Just give me,no?" "Okay here you go. But tell me why you want it." "Come with me."
The boy took him through a bushy trail until they came to a clearing. There was a  big well, apparently unused for a long time. The boy looked at the old man and said, "My friend told me this well is a wish fulfilling well." "That is wishful thinking!" "No, it is wish fulfilling," repeated the boy. The old man said, "No, I am saying it is wishful thinking." The boy, now a bit annoyed, asserted,"WISH FULFILLING, not wishful thinking." 
His grandfather smiled at him and said, "I heard you, dear. But when you reach my age, you will realize that not much of a difference is there between the two." 
"What do you mean?" 
"Placing your luck in objects that are supposedly wish fulfilling is silly. Believing that these things will change what is destined is mere wishful thinking.  It is okay to dream...in fact, you should. But that ambition has to be coupled with hard work, determination and courage. Will a hymn, a talisman or a superstition fulfill your wish?"
"I understand what you are saying, Grandpa. But didn't Grandma tell me that prayers have the power to perform miracles? Wishing for something deeply, even if it might seem foolish to others, can give us the much-needed fuel in times of hopelessness, she said.
Even in that book that my mother was reading. Doesn't he say that if you want something, the universe helps you to achieve it? Or something similar to that. Of course I understood it better when Shah Rukh Khan said it."
"But those are fic..," the grandfather was about to say. Then he saw the earnest face of his grandson looking up at him. The hope in the boy's visage echoed mildly in the depths of his heart, clouded by years of disillusionment and cynicism. 
"Very well said, dear. Sometimes it is better to wish for things to change than to accept them as they are. Now why don't you drop that coin so that we can go back and join the rest? "

This post has been written for #BarAThon Day 6. Prompt - Wishful thinking


3 comments:

  1. Wow Abbuchi! The visual imagery in this post is simply stunning. Great take on the prompt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching post, Shashi! You make a strong case for the Unseen. Indeed, hope and faith are the wonder wheels the world runs on.

    ReplyDelete