Friday, January 13, 2017

Hyderabad Holiday

When I was 13 years old, my sister and I travelled together to Hyderabad for a fortnight. We had an uncle and two aunts there. I still remember that trip vividly for many reasons - my cousins took us around to all the touristy places (Golconda, Salarjung Museum, Badi Chowdi and so on), I read some good books, did some great shopping, ate some awesome food and we played games like Dumb charades. 

In the same trip, one aunt exhorted us to stop watching movies. We solemnly promised because we were too scared to argue, but inwardly mortified to forgo our deep attachment to movies. The very next day we were invited for lunch by one of my father's close friends. At their home, to our surprise, they asked us if we wanted to watch the movie, Darr on VCR. We couldn't say 'no' because they were the hosts and we were too scared to be rude. On the one hand, we were excited to watch the movie (we were SRK fans then) but on the other, we were so terrified that we had broken our promise in one day. Now when my sister and I think of that episode, we laugh and also feel sorry for our younger selves for going through that absolutely unnecessary moral crisis.

During the course of the trip, my cousin brother asked us if we liked Hyderabad or Vizag (our hometown) more. Both of us were and are absolute Vizagites. So we told him that we love Vizag more than any place and that we could not dream of living in another place. Then, he said, 'What if you get married to someone from Hyd?' 'That's impossible,' we said. 
What a prophetic question that was! Nearly two decades later, both my sister and I now call Hyderabad home.

We may not have become true blue Hyderabadis but both of us cannot dream of living in another place now. (Still I love you, Vizag.)

Day 13 of Blogathon 2017

2 comments:

  1. Nice. You have become a couple of Hydites. To tell you the truth, I like Vizag more than Hyd. I always find Hyd has a weird smell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I like Hyderabad, I love Vizag. :)

    ReplyDelete