Saturday, January 14, 2017

Kites


Makar Sankranthi is being celebrated today, the 14th of January. Today the skies in my city are dotted with innumerable colourful kites. Kite flying is a passionate sport played from terraces all over the city. But, because I am more bookish than sporty, the word 'kite' brings to mind a book that greatly moved me - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. 
Set in Afghanistan and the United States, the book explores themes of friendship, familial relations, guilt and redemption. The multigenerational novel (one of my favourite kinds) portrays Afghanistan, before and after it was ravaged by war, and makes it relatable and human to strangers' eyes. A great novel, it's a must read for fiction lovers.


Image result for kite runner




Day 14 of Blogathon 2017

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I loved the book you mention. It had moved me so much when I had read that. I gifted the book to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I also loved his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns.

    ReplyDelete