Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Magic of Midnight

'How many times have I told you not to enter my room without my permission?' shouted Vivek. Kavita said, 'I forgot something in your room.' 'There you go again. How many times have I told you not to bring or keep your things here?' 'Sorry, Anna.' 'Okay, search for it and go fast.' Kavita looked here and there while Vivek went back to writing his notes. 'Looks like it is not there,' said Kavita as she left the room.

Vivek looked at his watch. He decided to close his books and sleep early. 'I can complete it tomorrow morning if I wake up early.' He looked for his alarm clock but couldn't find it anywhere. 'Amma, did you take my alarm clock?' 'No, I haven't. It must be there in your room somewhere.' ' No, Amma. I'm sure Kavita must have taken it. Kavita! Kavita! Did you take my clock?' Kavita came running from her room. 'No, Anna. Why would I take it?' 'Kavita, if this is some kind of trick, I am telling you, I will complain to Appa.' But Kavita promised him that it was not with her. Finally, Vivek asked his mother to wake him up early the next day. 

'Who is calling me? What is that sound? Oh, it's the alarm. My alarm!' Vivek woke up with a start. He rubbed his eyes. Yes, that was his alarm. It was not in its usual place. 'Where is it? Oh, this is really annoying. I'm sure everyone's going to wake up and scold me.' He got up quickly from his bed and realized that it was still pretty dark. He rushed to his study table and switched on the light. He looked at his wristwatch. It was 12 o'clock.

Vivek hurried out of his room. His face broke into a grin as he saw the clock ringing incessantly, seated next to a scrumptious cake and a small pile of gifts. 'Happy Birthday!' exclaimed his Appa, Amma and Kavita. 

'Thank you,' said a beaming Vivek. His Appa said, 'First, shut down that clock!' Kavita laughed and stopped the alarm. Her mother said, 'Well, we should all thank Kavita for planning this special surprise for her brother.' 'Happy birthday, Anna! And sorry for stealing your alarm clock.' Vivek gave her a big hug and said, 'Thanks, Kavita. You are the sweetest sister ever. I am sorry too for constantly being annoyed with you.' 'So does that mean I can enter your room whenever I please?' 'Are you kidding? Never!' The four of them burst into laughter as they shared some cake, some happy memories and some worries about how to wake up early the next day.

(Inspired partly by "The Sin" - Diary of an Undergrad)

Day 12 of Blogathon 2017

3 comments:

  1. Very nice short story Abbuchi! I like all your short stories actually. Its a skill I don't have.
    I'm glad you liked my post and flattered that you mentioned it here!! You made my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! Reminds me of the day your roomies kept the alarm to wish you. And only you woke up! 😂

    ReplyDelete