Friday, January 27, 2017

My Favourite TV Show

Do you like to watch sitcoms? I do. Short for situational comedy, sitcoms are a series of 20-30 minute episodes which focus on a particular set of characters. American sitcoms are very popular, with shows such as Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory enjoying immense popularity in India. I have watched all these shows and love the humour and distinctive style of each show. However, if there is one TV show that ranks high up on my list, it is the show about nothing, Seinfeld.

Named the greatest television program of all time in 2002 by TV Guide, the first episode of Seinfeld aired nearly 27 years ago in July 1989. Running for 9 successful years, Seinfeld gave birth to catchphrases such as 'yada yada', 'regifting', 'low talker', 'in the vault' and so many more.

I was introduced to this TV show in 2007 by my husband, who was a big fan of Jerry Seinfeld. Thankfully, the reruns of the show came every evening and I must have watched all the 9 seasons a lot of times. Not everyone can understand or appreciate the irreverent and unsentimental tone of the show, preferring the feel good nature of sitcoms such as Friends. But I loved it. It was comedic genius and I especially loved Elaine Benes, played terrifically by Julia Louis Dreyfus.

Most evenings (when I was in the US) all alone at home, Seinfeld gave me the best company I could ask for and it will always be my all time favourite TV show.

Day 27 of Blogathon 2017

2 comments:

  1. I would say TBBT is one of my favs. I used to watch friends a lot. Now my kids do the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bazinga! Love Sheldon in that show.

    ReplyDelete